Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Do You Have a Favorite Food?

When recently asked the question, What is Your Favorite Food?, I wasn't able to come up with just one answer. I love to cook and I love great food, but my tastes often change according to the seasons and circumtances. Some people would automatically say "a great steak", "Mom's special lasagna" or "anything chocolate". My current tastes run the gamut of all the wonderful, seasonal, fresh fruits and vegetables found in the garden and farmers' markets this time of year, especially here in the Midwest. Warm, fresh from the garden tomatoes - I love a thick slice on a hamburger or a BLT. Or how about some sweet, buttery corn on the cob? This is a sampling of vegetables fresh from my garden.

And then there's all the luscious, juicy fresh fruits - peaches, apples and blueberries. So I decided my favorite for the day is fruit desserts, specifically blueberry crisp. Then I had to make some for dessert and thought I'd share the recipe. This is a super simple fresh baked dessert. You could use mixed berries instead of just blueberries, or add fresh sliced peaches to the blueberries, a great combination!

Blueberry Crisp
(4-6 servings)

3 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
cream or ice cream

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange blueberries in an ungreased baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon and salt; sprinkle on top. Bake until topping is light brown and blueberries are hot, about 30 minutes. Serve warm with cream.
Do you have a favorite food?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post.. i don't know what my favorite food is either :/

Dionne said...

You had me at Blueberry.

This recipe sounds AMAZING!

And I am totally with you on fresh seasonal produce. I go to a cooking class some Saturdays and all the recipes are based on whatever is in season. The restaurant that the class runs from changes their menu every day depending on what is sold that day at the Farmers Market.

lori vliegen said...

with a bounty like this, you must have a beautiful garden!! i wish i could pop one of those blueberries in my mouth!! and your crisp sounds de-lish!! :)

Cheryl Patterson said...

Dionne, your cooking classes sound wonderful! I would love a restaurant based on seasonal food!

And Lori, our garden doesn't really look very good! we've had some uncooperative weather this summer. But we have gotten a lot of vegetables, so that's what counts!

BeadedTail said...

I love all the seasonal fruits and vegetables and we try to find ways to enjoy them quite often. Blueberries are certainly a favorite and your crisp sounds so delicious!

Run Lori Run said...

I made your blueberry crisp today and it is wonderful! I was looking for a good way to use all the blueberries we loaded into the freezer so far this season! And what a great garden you have! My peppers haven't done very well this year so far so I'm jealous!

tamdoll said...

There's nothing better than fresh fruit and vegetables!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Mmm sounds yummy!! I love blueberries :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

YUM! YUM! YUM! those blueberries look so luscious! I love summer fresh fruits and vegetables!